Breaking News
Death by carbon monoxide poisoning

Death by carbon monoxide poisoning

Technical Safety BC has finished its investigation into a fatal incident that happened in the Ruby Lake area on June 27.
Two individuals were staying in their family recreational cabin, which was equipped with propane-fueled appliances when they were exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide. Both individuals were found unresponsive by a neighbour. One person was deceased, and the other was airlifted to hospital in critical condition.
Investigators identified propane appliances that were installed improperly and not certified for use in Canada.
“Due to the nature of off-the-grid and recreational properties we tend to see a lot of well-intentioned, but potentially dangerous DIY installations,” said Jeff Coleman, Technical Safety BC Director of Risk and Safety Knowledge. “Although it can be difficult to find licensed contractors and installers for remote properties, these incidents show the importance of ensuring all fuel-burning appliances are installed safely and to the manufacturer’s specifications.”
The findings of the report highlight the need for greater public awareness of this silent but deadly danger. Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas produced when fuels are burned incompletely, including propane, natural gas, oil, wood, charcoal, alcohol, kerosene, or gasoline.
Exposure to carbon monoxide interferes with the body’s ability to absorb oxygen, and breathing in too much carbon monoxide can result in serious injury or death. Because of the nature of the symptoms, many victims never realize they are being exposed until it is too late. As such, Technical Safety BC and other health and safety experts strongly advocate for all homes to have a working carbon monoxide alarm.
The Local

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Scroll To Top